Blackbaud Education Management Solutions K-12
Blackbaud Integration | Google
There are two integrations that are critical to effective content delivery from within Blackbaud (onSuite) and streamlining the user login process.
I. Account Access
In a K-12 environment, students struggle with the constant demand to create user accounts on various platforms and remember those logins. In our org, we deploy three software solutions to our students.
- GSuite (email, drive (docs, sheets, slides, forms), meet, etc..)
- Adobe Suite (Adobe Creative Cloud)
By default, the three platforms come pre-built with a robust offering that is controlled under a single-use login. One of the greatest developments by online platforms is the ability to integrate login systems. Have you ever noticed your ability to sign into your favorite blog with Facebook, which allows for integrated and easy sharing of blog posts? Similar concept here.
GSuite is our primary user account orchestration tool for our domain. Adobe and Blackbaud (along with others) are the secondary account controllers that require a secondary login. In recent years, both platforms have opened up their ability to integrate with popular account management platforms like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Github, etc…
Since young children struggle with memorizing their passwords, especially over the summers, I decided to centralize their logins into a single platform. This will allow for easier account control, increased security (enforced 2fa on their centralized account), and better control. Having everything centralized will also make it easier to control and restore access in the event that a student has forgotten their GSuite account credentials.
I.(a). Adobe SSO
Adobe makes this process straightforward.
- During the sign in process select “Continue with Google”:
- You will then be redirected to Google. If the user account is created in the backend with the same Google Account that’s already signed into Google Chrome, Adobe will automatically attempt to ‘connect’ the two accounts.
I.(b). Blackbaud SSO
With Blackbaud, you will need to configure each user’s username with their email.
- Navigate to Core > Search for a user > Navigate to the user “access” page
- Click “Connect to Blackbaud ID”
- At their next login, they will need to use their email address in the username field to trigger the Blackbaud SSO with Google prompt. From there, they will be prompted to sign in with Google.
II. Effective Content Delivery
In a school, it’s especially important that the delivery of content is effective. It’s important to make sure students are getting the same exposure to content remotely / from home as if they were with the teacher in a classroom. Blackbaud has the option to integrate with Google Drive API.
- Navigate to Core > Settings > Integration Settings > Google drive
- From here, there’s a 6 step process that you must follow to obtain the API key and Client ID key to integrate Blackbaud with Google Drive.
- When you’re done, users will see this, below, when they attempt to upload a document:
With these three integrations, we now have a seamless login process and document management solution!